Sunday, February 21, 2010

Responsible drinker ako. 'Di nga.

I enjoy drinking with good company every now and then. A good friend of mine even introduced me to all sorts of beers and how people should ideally drink them. Yes, like drinking wine, people like to drink their beer a certain way. I prefer beer over hard drinks any day. But for a change, I tried searching up on one of the most expensive alcoholic beverages in the world: Scotch whiskey.


Here’s some trivia from Cracked.com

“Scotch is the finest beverage known to humankind, and the only one that has its own auctions.”

“It's been adored by too many icons of cool to list, including Poe, Hemingway, basically all normal artists, respectable biker gangs, whoever wrote Shakespeare, and Ben Franklin, unquestionably the coolest founding father. Nothing else goes perfectly with Coltrane, Metallica, and all things in between; scotch is what cocaine wishes it could be, a kind of explosive velvet, and is majorly iconic itself.”

A brief image summary on the “history” of whiskey.
Epic siya eh. Hehe.


Misconceptions and facts about Whiskey:

1. Older does not mean better.
A lot of whiskeys peak at about 15 – 21 years.

2. Most expensive does not mean it’s the best.

3. Don’t be afraid to put water in your whiskey.
Water will open up a whiskey – let aromas come out, for full flavor. Ice = water.

4. If you’re going to put ice in your whisky, avoid making a snow cone (LOL)
There are whiskeys made for “the rocks”, which means its best taken with ice.

5. Don’t be afraid to try something new—try something that you’ve never had.

*Info from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDCMkYXVx_Q&feature=fvst- -- Learn everything there is to know about Scotch whisky with LX.com's George Oliphant at the Brandy Library in New York City.


I honestly didn’t like hard drinks when I tasted them for the first time. But, I learned to appreciate certain tastes as I got older. I have to agree that expensive doesn’t always mean better. I tried Johnnie Walker and Benmore whisky, and I have to say I couldn’t taste the difference. Though both brands come from the same maker, the latter is not as expensive.


Which means lower income-earning, poor, but decent people like me can still enjoy it. :p


But hey, don’t get me wrong. I’m not promoting alcoholism. I just think people should enjoy parties and still have their favorite beer, cocktail, or wine, with certain conditions of course. Just don’t drink and drive, folks!


Everyone has got to down a bottle of booze some time. Yes, I’m not just talking to drinkers, this goes out to non-alcohol fans too. Being a non-drinker doesn’t mean you shouldn’t know how to handle drinking situations. That’s why idiot guides are important. Trust me, I’ve been there. When I was in college, I barely knew anything until the morning after when I had to cradle a massive head-ache over the toilet wondering what in the world I got myself in to.


This situation may sound familiar to some. For others, there are ways to avoid these nasty aftermaths. Checkout this link for complete tips on responsible drinking and how to handle the worst hang-over after the best party you unfortunately forgot. Actually, it’s either you read that or just take my personal drinking advice:

  • Eat a good meal before drinking especially if you plan on drinking a lot. It’s a fact that you will get drunk faster with an empty stomach, and that’s common sense.
  • Drinking too much too fast will obviously make you drunk sooner than the old dude across your table. While drinking alcohol, alternate with water or other beverages. Stay hydrated. It’s also a good way to pace your drinking.
  • Plano mo pala magbasag eh. Hala! Sige, inom! Pero bago ka magpaka-lasing, uminom ka na ng Aspirin, Biogesic, Tylenol, o kung ano mang Paracetamol isang oras bago mag-wasak. Sulitin mo na. Makakatulong yan para ‘di ka maging gulay pag-gising mo.


Wait, what about the morning after?
So… you’ve busted the whole responsible drinking plan. Ano ngayon?

  • Sige, isuka mo lang yan. Mas giginhawa ang pakiramdam mo pag naisuka mo na lahat. When your body withdraws food from your stomach, it’s actually a sign that it needs to rid it of poison. Yes, too much of a good thing can really kill.
  • Again, drink lots of water. Better yet, drink sports drinks like Gatorade or Pacquiao’s Vit. Water, you know?
  • Sleep! That’s the only way you can ever recover. If you have work or class that day, sorry na lang. Kasalanan mong nag-basag ka eh. Pagbayaran mo.

So there. Until my next sleepless entry. Good afternoon, good evening, and good night. :)

No comments: